Saturday, June 28, 2008

PAPPU can't dance saala!!!!

I leave for home after my professional commitments are taken care of by 7 p.m. I walk past more people than that residing in some small island nations to reach Andheri Station. The superfast trains in our part of the world take forever to reach Nerul. Another 15 minutes to reach my home abode.
After being so damn tired, human beings, even the insane ones like me ( ... no I mnt making fun of me... I mean Insanely talented) would like to relax ,watch TV , probably some good music.
So, I was doing the same, having some snacks and surfing the channels and soon I hear"Pappu cant dance Saala!!!". I stopped at once and so did the moment ... I can't believe some great lyricist can write something like this.( but I take solace from the fact that its produced by AAMIR KHAN so there's definitely some thought that should have gone into such unusual lyrics... and the genius of A. R . Rehman can make anything look special...). In the land of Javed Akhtars and Gulzars, these lines seem too odd... even to the relatively young Hindi film watchers like me.
Now common, the state of my English is pathetic. I dont understand the Backstreet Boys, Boyzones and Justin Timberlakes of the world... nor do I make a dedicated effort to . I can count on my fingers the number of English tracks I have ever listened to . So , for such a Target audience , Hindi film songs is what they feed on. Now, no offence to the lyricist, but he can do better than "Pappu can't ....." . Though I must admit the other number Kabhi Kabhi..aditi. is great.
This is not the only one. A few years back , I heard something called" Tere sang, ek simple si coffee bhi kick deti hai". Now what is that??
Are we short of lyricists? Dont we have the talent to create masterpieces. I think its time our lyricist take their time to write a good song and not come up with something like " Aa khushi se khudkushi kar le"... for there are people who take Hindi films too seriously.
I dont have an iota of knowledge in music, hence my judgement of lyrics is completely unjustified...(now lyricists on my radar can take solace in that) but I am sure you must have found some lyrics which might have been over the top for you. If so , drop in some songs whose lyrics need serious revamping according to u?

6 comments:

Rajiv Bhatt said...

i agree the quality of lyrics is degrading day by day but on the other side of it , its a part of life .. you have a situation and you ought to write a song ... you cant expect everyone to come up with hits or meaningful lyrics ... please dont forget that there are people like me in this world who keep talkin nonsense and imagine such people writing lyrics .. like the song phoonk de in NO SMOKING .. i simply love it but some people dislike it .... anyways for your info Aamir Khan inspired the lyricist to write a song keeping Salman Khan in mind and all his infamous "ACTS" which brought up these lyrics of "papu cant ... " just another publicity hype as he did in his previous blog where he had a pet named "Shahrukh"!

Vimal Pillai said...

point taken Rajiv and your modesty too.
but I suggest ur poems should feature on ur blog. Atleast the one your wrote for our BE class... that is definitely better than Pappu cant dance saala...

Xorkes said...

u forgot to mention the himesh numbers which have N no. of repititions(take any song sung by him for that matter) how bout the OOOOOOOOooooooo... :)

Vimal Pillai said...

point taken ... Xorkes...
please feel free to add all the songs which you feel have equally terrible lyrics

Xorkes said...

feel free to add all the songs??
are u cray??
m gonna charge u for that... ;P

Unknown said...

Somebody has stolen your subject line to put their blog.

http://ibnlive.in.com/electionblogs/sagarika-ghose/223/53244/pappu-can-dance-saala.html